In real life.
In real life, people crave pasta.
In real life, people come home hungry, exhausted, and just want something simple and delicious.
In real life, the day-to-day is a lot of work. Especially when it involves cats.
In real life, dinner gets made while listening to bad 90’s music. Yes, this might include Hanson.
And so in real life, zucchini spaghetti is what’s for dinner. It comes together easily and tastes like a delicious bowl of healthy pasta… but better.
In real life, my sink is piled high with dirty dishes, but I’m ignoring this fact and curling up with my cats on the couch… in a snuggie… while watching The Mindy Project and eating zucchini spaghetti.
Hey, it’s real life.
Have you jumped on the zucchini pasta bandwagon yet? I hope so! But, if you haven’t, be sure to check out my tutorial on How to Spiralize Zucchini. It’s so easy — I promise!
Lentil marinara is one of my favorite recipes and I can’t believe that I haven’t shared this with you before. French lentils make a delicious and hearty replacement for meat in this recipe and they add a fabulous texture with the zucchini pasta, making it a perfect protein-packed vegetarian meal. Since tomatoes have a very short growing season here in Seattle, I usually opt for canned or jarred organic tomatoes instead of fresh.
In this particular recipe, I opted for already pureed tomato sauce to yield a smoother sauce with a quick cooking time. You can also substitute diced tomatoes if desired or if you’re tight on time, feel free to substitute a jar of premade marinara sauce. If buying premade sauce, look for a brand that does not include added sugar and is made with organic tomatoes (since tomatoes on one of them items on the Dirty Dozen List and should be purchased organic).
What are your favorite ways to serve zucchini spaghetti?
- 1 cup dried french lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-15 oz cans organic tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium zucchini, spiralized into pasta
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add lentils and 2 cups of water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender and liquid is evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and saute for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- When lentils are done cooking, add them to the sauce and simmer for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and saute the zucchini pasta for 5 - 10 minutes, until desired tenderness is achieved.
- Divide the pasta among four plates and top with lentil marinara. Serve hot.
- Get your FREE Handy Guide To Produce to jumpstart your cooking!
- FREE weekly recipes & healthy living tips!
- PLUS discounts & giveaways on health & wellness goodies!