It seems like it happened overnight. Yesterday I was sitting on the back porch, sipping tea, and enjoying the sunshine, and the next thing I know, I find myself caught in a crazy downpour that left me soaked for the first few hours of my day. Lesson learned: don’t forget your jacket in Seattle and… fall is definitely here.
Besides making every recipe possible with pumpkin, my fall goals include visiting a local farm to pick apples, a trip to Chicago, going for daily walks, and seeing The Girl on The Train when it hits theaters. (BTW- if you haven’t read the book yet, you definitely should!)
I love fall, but I also know that fall tends to be a busy season. When I was menu planning for the week, my goal was to create a few easy, healthy, and quick weeknight dinner staples that I can use throughout the season and share with you as well. After all, spending less time on meal prep means more time we can be outside picking apples and carving pumpkins, right? 😉
This 15-minute Zucchini Spaghetti with Chicken and Marinara has instantly become one of my favorites. The ingredients are simple: some good zucchini (preferably local since we’re still at the end of summer), a jar of your favorite organic marinara sauce (look for a brand without added sugar), and (preferably local and free-range) chicken. Then grab your handy spiralizer and get cooking!
P.S. If you don’t own a spiralizer yet, you definitely need to get your hands on one (check out the video above to see how awesome it is to make veggie pasta!)- AND if you love spiralizing, be sure to join my free newsletter for weekly recipes!
- 1 24-oz jar organic marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ pounds zucchini (about 3 large zucchini), ends sliced off and spiralized with the "spaghetti" blade
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Add the marinara to a small saucepan. Warm over low-medium heat, stirring as needed.
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 1 minute, then flip and cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté zucchini for 3 - 5 minutes, or until tender, then drain in a colander.
- Divide zucchini between four bowls, top with the marinara and chicken.