Do you love pasta and creamy sauces? I do too so let’s talk.
This zucchini pasta with sausage and creamed spinach is the pasta that I now dream about.
Tender zucchini noodles combined with flavorful sausage, wilted spinach, and a creamy (dairy-free!) cashew sauce that makes my mouth water. It has quickly become one of my absolute favorite recipes and I know you’ll love it too! So grab your handy spiralizer and get cooking!
This delicious zucchini pasta with sausage and creamed spinach comes together quickly, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dish! If you plan to save leftovers or make a double batch for meal prepping, I recommend keeping the zucchini pasta and the sauce separate until serving. This ensures that you can drain any excess liquid from the zucchini noodles and you won’t wind up with a watery sauce.
P.S. If you don’t own a spiralizer yet, you definitely need to get your hands on one (check out the video above to see how awesome it is to make veggie pasta!)
And for you zucchini pasta lovers, you might also want to check out my cookbook Zoodles Spiralizer Cookbook available on Amazon.com.
What are your favorite zucchini pasta dishes this season?
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound (mild or spicy) Italian sausage
- 1½ pounds zucchini (about 3 large zucchini), ends sliced off and spiralized with the "spaghetti" blade
- ⅓ cup cashews
- 1½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Black pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage as it cooks. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes, or until the sausage is fully cooked and nicely browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to a separate saucepan or pot over medium heat. Sauté zucchini for 3 - 5 minutes, or until tender, then set aside to drain in a colander.
- Next, blend the cashews and water until smooth. Once the sausage is fully cooked, add the salt, thyme, sage, garlic, spinach, and cashew sauce to the saucepan with the sausage. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve the zucchini pasta, topped with the sauce. Add pepper to taste.