You know those nights when you wake up at 2 am and are unable to fall back to sleep? Maybe because you are obsessing over your to-do list for the next day. Or maybe because you started thinking about spring and that led to thoughts of everything that you can’t wait to do when the weather starts getting nice again. Or, perhaps, you are unable to fall back to sleep because you cannot get Bennie and the Jetts to stop playing on repeat in your brain. Has Elton John ever prevented you from sleeping? It must just be me.
I discovered last night that it is hard to cure the Bennie-and-the-Jetts-Elton-John-2 am brain. I tried getting up and reading. I tried drinking a warm glass of almond milk. Then I tried making this. Apparently there might be a 2 am cure. And it involves quinoa.
This salad is perfect for a light lunch or healthy 2 am snack. Feel free to double the batch to have plenty of leftovers for easy weeknight dinners… or Elton John cures.
Thai Quinoa Salad
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 dried dates, chopped
- 1 cup red quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup (unsweetened) coconut flakes
- 1 cup kale, stems removed, shredded
- ⅓ cup cashews, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- For dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy. Set aside and prepare the salad ingredients.
- Add quinoa and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and let cook until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Let the quinoa cool for a few minutes.
- Mix quinoa with carrots, coconut flakes, kale, cashews, and cilantro. Mix in dressing. Can be served warm or cold.
Adapted from Birgitte Antonsen
Share the Love!
Sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter!