Things I love about summertime…
- The way my kitchen always smells like a juice bar
- Sleeping with the windows wide open
- Biting into cool, crisp watermelon slices
- Mock tuna salads
Things that drive me crazy about summer time…
- The way my kitchen is always swarming with fruit flies
- Waking to the sound of chirping birds at 5 am and my cat trying to rip out the screen in order to get to them
- Biting into mushy watermelon slices
- Running out of my favorite mock tuna salad
For someone that can’t stand the thought of seafood or the smell of the ocean, I am oddly obsessed with mock tuna salads, especially in summer. Every time I am at a new restaurant and see a mock tuna salad on the menu I have to try it. My obsession finally got to the point where I knew it was time to make my own version so I could have it whenever I wanted. And so I did.
Tempeh of the Sea
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 -8 oz package plain tempeh, crumbled
- ¼ medium red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 Tablespoons sweet relish
- ½ cup cashew mayo (or vegan mayo of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble tempeh and mix with the red onion, green onion, celery, relish, mayo and brown mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold or grilled.
I used tempeh to replace the “tuna” in this recipe. (If you are unfamiliar with tempeh, you can read more about it in a previous post here.) Let me tell you that I have eaten this every week for the past six weeks… in cold sandwiches, on top of romaine salads, and grilled in flat bread. In fact, I have been so busy eating this that I keep forgetting to share the recipe with you. My apologies.
You may also like...
Sign Up For Weekly Updates