Lessons I am learning right now…
It is okay to sleep in when you are tired.
It is okay to snuggle a cat who really does not want to be snuggled.
It is okay to take a day off.
It is okay to sneak a cookie when no one is looking. (or even if they are…)
It is okay to say no.
It is okay to need help, ask for help, and accept help.
It is okay to burn pancakes.
And it is okay to sit on your couch on a Sunday morning, eating Brussels sprouts for breakfast, and covering them in maple syrup because you burned your pancakes.
I am a big believer in the idea that sometimes things happen for a reason. And apparently I burn recipes so that I can create even tastier things, like these Brussels sprouts. My favorite part of this dish is using fresh cranberries instead of dried because when roasted, they turn into tart, juicy little bits of heaven. I also like toasting the walnuts for just one minute at the end of cooking the Brussels sprouts, but be sure to keep a close eye on them because the oven is on high heat and they can burn easily. If you’re nervous about burning them, simply skip this step.
Sweet Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries & Walnuts
Recipe type: Side
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup fresh cranberries, halved
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or more if desired)
- Sea salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim ends off Brussels sprouts (or cut them from stalk) and remove any outer yellow leaves. Cut in half. Toss Brussels sprouts with coconut oil and lay flat on a sheet pan. Toss with cranberries and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the Brussels Sprouts are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Add the walnuts to the sheet pan and roast for one minute, until just toasted, and remove sheet pan immediately. Toss with maple syrup and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Eat better, feel great, look amazing!
Get your FREE Handy Guide to Produce to jumpstart your cooking along with weekly recipes, healthy living tips, and giveaways!