This week I’m working on taking it easy.
Of course, as I’m typing that I have to laugh at myself. Who has to work on “taking it easy”? Apparently I do. It’s hard for me to clear my schedule, stop the to-do list and ignore the inbox… but sometimes it has to be done. Can you relate?
If you want to join me in this taking-it-easy business, might I suggest making these incredible spicy roasted pumpkin seeds? There’s nothing that will keep you focused on the present moment like carving open a slippery pumpkin with a very sharp knife. That’s just something you don’t mess around with.
Well, that and karma. Just sayin.
Roasting pumpkin seeds involves a few important steps:
1. You need to thoroughly clean the pumpkin seeds of any pulp.
2. The seeds should be boiled in salted water before roasting. This helps the shell to get extra crispy!
3. And, most importantly, try not to burn them! The key is to roast them at a low temperature and keep a close eye on them towards the end. If you own an oven thermometer, this also helps things along because you will have a more accurate picture of what your oven temperature really is.
My favorite way to enjoy these has been in a trail mix with dark chocolate bits and dried fruit. Pure heaven.
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- Thoroughly clean the seeds and remove any pulp.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add cleaned seeds and 1 teaspoon of salt to a pot of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain seeds.
- Dry seeds with a paper towel.
- Lay seeds on a baking sheet and toss with the coconut oil. Mix the paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, and chili powder together. Sprinkle over the seeds.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then flip seeds. Roast for an additional 5 minutes, then test seeds. If they are not crispy enough, roast for another 3 - 5 minutes, making sure the outside is not overly browned (this means the inner seed is burning).
- Get your FREE Handy Guide To Produce to jumpstart your cooking!
- FREE weekly recipes & healthy living tips!
- PLUS discounts & giveaways on health & wellness goodies!