Do you ever have those days where you’re so exhausted that it feels like you’ll fall asleep if you slow down for just a second? Today was totally one of those days for me.
I’m not sure if it’s this gray Seattle weather, a busy work week, general fatigue, or maybe a combination of all of the above, but nonetheless, when I feel this way I know it’s time for a green smoothie.
This savory green smoothie bowl really hit the spot this week. It’s too cold for something fruity and sweet (in my opinion) and what I really wanted was a smoothie that somehow also felt hearty – hence, a green smoothie bowl.
So, grab your favorite spoon and let’s get to it!
This green smoothie bowl starts with a green apple for a touch of tart sweetness. If you want a sweeter bowl, use 1/2 banana to thicken the bowl, however, if you’d like a low-sugar option, add 1/4 avocado instead. Next, we’ll add lots of green, delicious things: celery, cucumber, parsley, and spinach.
Finally, I added some roasted almonds and hemp seeds as a source of healthy fats and protein. (BTW – if you haven’t jumped on the hemp seed bandwagon yet, you need to. Hemp seeds are an amazing source of omega 3 fatty acids and they have 10 grams of plant-based protein per serving! I love adding them to smoothies, salads, or even sprinkling them over a fried egg for breakfast. You can find them at any local health food store or online.)
- 1 medium green apple, core removed and chopped (reserve some apple for the toppings, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, divided
- 1 ounce roasted unsalted almonds, divided
- ½ banana or ¼ avocado
- 2 medium stalks celery
- ½ cucumber
- ⅓ cup parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup ice
- Add the green apple (reserving a bit for the toppings, if desired) along with half of the hemp seeds and half of the almonds, the banana or avocado, celery, cucumber, parsley, spinach, water and ice to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite bowl, then top with the reserved apple, hemp seeds, and almonds (or other toppings of choice). Enjoy immediately!