I am sure that for most people, the question: “what’s your favorite food?” does not evoke images of green leafy vegetables… but clearly, I am not most people. 😉
Among my list of favorite foods are a lot of veggies: kale, broccolini, bok choy, and, yes, cabbage. Even if it seems counter intuitive, cabbage is one of those really versatile vegetables that can be used in a lot of creative ways!
Some of my past favorite cabbage recipes include:
- Tossing cabbage into a stir-fry like this grain-free zucchini yakisoba.
- Eating cabbage raw in a salad like this paseo-inspired chicken salad.
- Spiralizing it in a soup like this hearty beef and cabbage soup (and, oh yes, cabbage can be spiralized!)
- And, of course, fermenting cabbage in sauerkraut. I love this original version and this anti-inflammatory sauerkraut.
This brings us to today’s mission: roasting cabbage. Have you tried roasted cabbage before? Just like with any cruciferous vegetable, roasting brings out the naturally sweet flavors and helps to mellow out some of the bitterness. So grab your favorite baking sheet and let’s get to roasting!
I love how easy this roasted cabbage is to prepare, but, don’t mistake easy prep for a bland dish! This roasted cabbage is naturally sweet and flavorful and there are a ton of ways to spice it up! The recipe below finishes off the cabbage with a drizzle of olive oil and dash of red pepper flakes. I also love garnishing the cabbage with fresh herbs or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar!
- 1 medium head of cabbage, sliced into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use coconut oil to oil a baking sheet. Lay out the cabbage wedges and sprinkle with sea salt and granulated garlic.
- Cover baking sheet with foil and roast for 40 - 45 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Remove foil and then roast an additional 10 minutes until cabbage is lightly browned. Drizzle with olive oil and add red pepper flakes to taste, if desired. Serve immediately.