Have you heard the hype that bananas are soon-to-be no longer vegan? There are reports of a new spray-on chemical derived from shrimp and crab shells to extend the life of the fruit. It’s pretty scary to me that companies are allowed to spray our food with whatever they choose and not label it – especially when you consider the millions of people with shellfish allergies.
The funny thing though is that bananas have been non-vegan in our household for quite some time. Remember my cat that likes to lick plastic bags? Well I used to buy bananas from Costco (which come in plastic bags), and my cat, being the creep that he is, enjoyed licking the bags so much that after I removed the bananas from the bag, he became obsessed with licking bananas. Now whenever bananas enter our house – bag or no bag – he has to lick them. And since that kitty tongue has seen quite a bit of seafood is its time, if you have a seafood allergy, I wouldn’t recommend eating bananas at my house either.
What does all this have to do with pasta, lentils, and zucchini? Nothing. Just be thankful none of these items were sprayed with chemicals or licked by a cat.
This has become my favorite go-to weeknight meal. It’s perfect for when you aren’t feeling creative and just want something quick, but it’s delicious and pretty enough to fool any dinner guest. My favorite pasta of choice is always brown rice pasta, but whole wheat, quinoa, or corn pasta all work great.
- 1 cup french lentils
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow onion (or half a medium onion), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or another oil for high-heat)
- 1 pound pasta (whole wheat, quinoa, brown rice, etc)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Add lentils and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and let cook until lentils are tender and liquid is evaporated, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss zucchini with onions, garlic, and oil and lay flat in a single layer on sheet pan. Roast for 15 minutes, turning at least once, until zucchini is tender and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While lentils and zucchini is cooking, boil water for pasta and cook according to directions. Toss lentils, zucchini, and pasta together with lemon juice. Drizzle with olive oil and top with black pepper and salt to taste. Serve warm.