Do you ever have a vision of yourself in your head that in absolutely no way matches reality? I certainly do.
A few weeks ago I became obsessed with the idea of becoming a better dancer after watching the Tatums’ hilarious showdown on Lip Sync Battle (definitely worth watching). I mean, if Channing can dance like Beyonce I certain can… right? Wrong.
Since starting my dance-inspired journey I have attended a Zumba class, a hip hop class, and two Barre classes. In my mind, I pictured myself having a blast at Zumba, learning some cool new hip hop moves, and working on my grace and flexibility in Barre.
In reality, here’s what went down:
- I was constantly five steps behind the Zumba instructor and at one point during a turn I literally tripped over my own feet. (Thankfully no one else was harmed by me attending this class.)
- In hip hop class, I learned that I am a) Not cool enough to do hip hop… especially since I don’t really listen to hip hop music and b) Not physically capable of doing hip hop, particularly when it involves booty popping, booty shaking, doing a booty roll, or any combo of the above.
- Ugh Barre. Don’t even get me started on what happened in Barre…
Although I haven’t quite given up my dancing dream just yet (I decided I’m going to commit to one more dance class before I completely give up), it’s been really nice to return to my usual routine of yoga, kettlebells, and Body Pump this week.
Speaking of usual routines, I also decided that it was time for my classic green smoothie to get an upgrade and this No-Fruit Creamy Green Smoothie is going to rock your world!
In my attempt to decrease my sugar intake over the years I’ve played around with a lot of “no-fruit” green smoothie options: my Fruit-Free Green Smoothie, this Spring Detox Smoothie, and my No-Fruit Pumpkin Green Smoothie.
This No-Fruit Creamy Green Smoothie is a bit different and involves some of my favorite ingredients:
- Kale: a great source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
- Cashews: a wonderful source of plant-based proteins and healthy fats. They also create the creamy base for the smoothie!
- Shelled hemp seeds: rich in Vitamin E, an excellent source of essential fatty acids like Omega-3, and a very digestible form of protein!
- Natural Calm Magnesium Supplement: I’ve mentioned in previous posts that I supplement with magnesium because it plays a huge role in the body and it’s often hard to get enough from food due to mineral depletion in the soil. (Magnesium depletion in our bodies is linked with insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks, constipation and IBS symptoms, headaches and migraines, fatigue, depression, increased PMS symptoms, muscle spasms, and cramps.) This magnesium supplement adds a great flavor and sweetness to the smoothie that makes up for the lack of fruit.
Since this smoothie does not contain fruit or citrus, it’s also a fabulous option for those on elimination diets or with special dietary needs! Enjoy!
- 2 cups kale leaves
- 1 cup ice
- ¾ cup water (or more if needed)
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds or hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons Natural Calm Raspberry-Lemon Flavor magnesium supplement
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy cold.