Let me tell you a little bit about my friend Tara. Tara and I met when we were sophomores in college. We instantly bonded over our love for Women’s Studies classes, late-night workouts, and large cups of tea. Tara taught me so much about food, art, and life; she helped me sort out all of that stuff that you need to sort out in your early twenties.
Awhile back she asked me to post some recipes with millet. I have to say that she is one of the few people for whom I would fulfill this request because… well, I don’t actually like millet. I tried it once in a not-so-great recipe and then gave it up. I know that’s the worst excuse ever. This is exactly why I knew it was time to get back in the millet game.
I’ve now experimented with several different millet dishes and this is my favorite. In fact, I’ve kinda fallen in love with millet. It’s full of magnesium and other nutrients, rich in insoluble fiber, easily digestible, delicious, and quick to prepare. What’s not to love?
This salad can be served warm or cold, but I definitely prefer it heated up. It calls for two cups of cooked aduki beans which is about the equivalent of 1 can or 1 cup uncooked beans. This salad is lemony and hearty, perfect for winter evenings.
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups cooked aduki beans, rinsed well
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place millet, water, and pinch of salt in a pot over high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until all water is absorbed (about 25 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Fluff millet and add aduki beans, onion, corn, and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the millet. Fold to combine and serve.
- Get your FREE Handy Guide To Produce to jumpstart your cooking!
- FREE weekly recipes & healthy living tips!
- PLUS discounts & giveaways on health & wellness goodies!