I’ve thought a lot about what I would do if I wasn’t a food blogger.
Don’t get me wrong – I’d still be a blogger because I’m a writer at heart, but I think it’d be pretty fun to have an entire blog that basically pokes fun at myself. I mean, I guess I do that now (lol), but if I was going to start over, I think I’d take it to a whole new level.
This past week, I pulled out my summer clothes from storage and realized I was in desperate need of some new clothes. Of course, this meant…. grrr… ugggghhh… I actually had to physically go clothes shopping. The result was four hours wasted at the mall while simply trying to find a nice pair of cotton cargo capris and a few tee shirts.
Along the way I found this adorable flower jumpsuit and even though it is soo not my usual style, I thought: “What’s the harm? I might as well try it on…”
Well, the harm, as it turns out, is that I looked like I belonged in a Pauly Shore movie from the 90s. It was sooo not cute, but at least was downright hilarious.
This leads me back to my earlier point that I’m very thankful I run this blog because instead of looking at some horrible fashion photos of me today, we’re going to talk about this gorgeous Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad instead. 😉
This Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad is a must for Memorial Day weekend. Simply marinate the chicken for a bit, then grill it up, toss it with some delicious veggies and avocado, and voila! You have a colorful and hearty salad on your hands!
This salad is delicious cold so it’s easy to make ahead of time and then bring to a gathering in an ice chest. I also love to make a big batch of it and then pre-portion it for easy weekday lunches!
What are you making this weekend?
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts (about 4 medium chicken breasts)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in half and sliced
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Add the safflower oil, red wine vinegar, brown mustard, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and sea salt to a bowl. Add black pepper to taste. Reserve half of the mixture for the dressing and store in the refrigerator.
- Add the chicken to a medium glass bowl or baking dish. Pour the other half of the marinade over and let marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and up to several hours.
- Once the chicken has been marinated, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade (discarding any extra) and grill the chicken on both sides until done, about 5 - 7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let sit for 5 minutes, then slice or cut into cubes.
- While chicken is grilling, add the spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, olives, and avocado together in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked chicken, then pour in the dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator until serving.