If you had to pick just one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I’m still trying to come up to my final answer to this one, but I have a pretty strong feeling it would involve kimchi or a fermented food of some sort.
Back in the ole days when rice was a regular staple in my diet, kimchi fried rice was one of my favorite dishes to make. The other day I found myself craving this combination of spicy kimchi with warm rice and veggies so I decided it was time to make a grain-free version with cauliflower rice! If you haven’t tried adding kimchi to other dishes I think this recipe is going to rock. Your. World.
And, if you haven’t tried making cauliflower rice before… c’mon? Are we even friends anymore?
Here’s how it all starts:
Then you’ll need to make some cauliflower rice. You’ll need either a cheese grater or food processor to get started, but that’s probably the hardest part. Check out this tutorial to see how it’s done.
Then you’ll just combine the kimchi and cauliflower rice together, add in any other desired veggies, and enjoy!
Note: Since one of the main benefits of kimchi is the probiotics, I recommend waiting until the last minute to add the kimchi. You want the cauliflower rice to be hot, but heating the kimchi directly can kill the beneficial bacterial. If you plan to use this as leftovers to enjoy later, you might also want to consider keeping the kimchi separate until after it’s been reheated.
And, if you’re looking for other low-carb, grain-free recipes, you don’t want to miss A Year of Cauliflower Rice!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of kimchi (or more to taste)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Attach the shredding blade to your food processor and shred cauliflower. (Or, use a cheese grater to shred the cauliflower by hand into a rice-like texture.)
- Add the coconut oil to a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, cauliflower rice, shredded carrots, and green onions.
- Sauté for about 5 - 7 minutes, until cauliflower rice is tender. Incorporate the kimchi and remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.