Before we talk about this Kale Salad with Toasted Coconut and Lemon Vinaigrette (also known as HEAVEN!) I think we need some updates.
This past week I…
- had a birthday.
- learned what all the hype is about LuLaroe’s “buttery soft” leggings. (don’t even get me started. seriously…)
- went through another round of cookbook manuscript edits. (I can’t wait until it’s finally here… in hard copy!!!)
- finished reading Fat Girl Walking by Brittany Gibbons. (this book is hilarious and will make you feel all warm, fuzzy, and body-positive while you’re laughing so hard that you actually snort in public. Not that this actually happened to me or anything… except it did.)
- began living off of kale. Obviously not exclusively, but I think I might have a problem. If you start to notice only kale recipes showing up here, please send help before I turn green.
This Kale Salad with Toasted Coconut and Lemon Vinaigrette is light enough for summer, but also hearty enough that it’d make the perfect side dish in the cooler months. Plus, the recipe is also versatile enough that you can use whatever produce you have on hand if you don’t have the ingredients I specified. Fresh fruit? Perfect! Walnuts instead of almonds? Throw ’em in!
If you’re looking for a one-dish meal, add some grilled salmon, chicken, or a vegetarian protein source of choice (french lentils or garbanzo beans would be fabulous in this).
What’s your favorite way to enjoy kale at the moment?
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub maple syrup if you're vegan)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- KALE SALAD:
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. Add the kale to a large bowl and pour the dressing over. Using clean hands, "massage" the dressing onto the kale for 5 minutes, or until the kale becomes tender and decreases in volume.
- Lay the coconut flakes and almonds flat on a sheet pan. Toast for 3 - 5 minutes, until coconut flakes are lightly brown.
- Add the apricots, toasted coconut, and almonds to the kale. Toss, then serve immediately.