Last week I returned home from my dream vacation to Miami and the Bahamas. The only catch? Part of my dream vacation involved a 3-day cruise where I felt stranded in the middle of the ocean because my only access to food was Cruise Ship Food. Oh dear.
In case you’ve never been on a cruise, this means I didn’t have access to anything that wasn’t deep fried and the greenest thing there was iceburg lettuce. Shudder.
I managed to survive the weekend, but let’s just say I’ve been making up for it ever since. And, since I was extremely disappointed I didn’t get to try any tropical fruit on the island, I had to make up for this as well.
…And so I give you kale, parsnip, and pineapple salad.
Kale is one of my favorite greens and it gets even better when it’s massaged and paired with fresh parsnips and sweet pineapple. I used a simple mix of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper for the dressing, but you could get even more festive and creative with this if desired.
If you’ve never massaged kale before, it’s really quite simple and is nothing to feel intimidated by. I even made you a tutorial to show you how easy it is! Check it out here: How to Make Massaged Kale Salad
Massaging changes the texture of the kale and transforms it from a tough green into something tender and sweet. It only takes a few minutes, but it makes a huge difference.
What is your favorite way to enjoy kale this season?
- 1 medium bunch lacinado or curly kale, de-stemmed and shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium parsnips, shredded
- 1 cup chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Add kale to a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over kale.
- Massage kale for 2 – 3 minutes, until tender. Drain any juices that have collected in the bowl. Toss with the pasnips and pineapple. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving.