There are a lot of ways you can spend your 30th birthday.
You can sleep in, drink kombucha on your back porch while enjoying breakfast, take yourself to the spa, and then spend the evening with friends enjoying dinner and a movie. But somewhere in there, I highly recommend you spend some time on your couch watching your favorite guilty-pleasure TV show and making party hats for your cat(s). Because, let’s be real… life is short… and your cats need party hats.
I’ve made a lot of tutorials on this blog.
We’ve talked about how to make sauerkraut, how to make your own kimchi, how to make grain-free zucchini pasta, how to make massaged kale salad and even things like how to get beachy hair (without chemicals!) and how to make your own DIY mango face mask. So it only seems right that today I present you with… How to Make Party Hats for Your Cat!
Trust me, this can be harder than it sounds…
Tutorial adapted from Buzzfeed.
First we start by procuring supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Paper (I like a mix of solid colors and fun patterns)
- Scissors (for cutting the paper)
- A pen (for writing fun things on the hats)
- A glue stick (for holding it all together)
- A ruler (for measuring the paper)
- Accessories like feathers and other cute things to go on the hats (optional)
Note: adding things like feathers and string make the hats much cuter (in my opinion), but it also means the cat will be even more excited about attacking the hat. You’ve been warned…
How to Make a Traditional Party Hat
1. Start by cutting a triangle out of a sheet of paper. The two shorter ends should be about 3 inches long and the long side of the triangle should be slightly curved (like a circle).
2. Cut a small corner off the top of the triangle. (This is so you can add a festive top to the hat later.)
3. Roll the cone up (this will make it easier to glue down if you’ve already molded it into the right shape).
4. Then glue one side onto the other.
5. Hold the cone together until the glue dries.
6. If the base of your cone is uneven, cut it to make sure it can stand up straight on its own. (Since, after all, you will want this to stand up on your cat’s head… hopefully.)
7. There are a variety of ways you can top your hat. I really like creating curled paper for a festive top. (Feathers are another great option.) To make this, cut a rectangular piece of paper and cut long pieces on one side, leaving about a half inch border on the other side.
8. Curl the individual strands of paper.
9. Roll it up tightly.
10. Put glue on the outside of the base of the curled paper and put it inside the cone. Make sure the glue holds it securely.
11. You can also make a fun sign to put on the outside of the hat.
12. Glue it on securely and get ready to put it on your cat!
How to Make a Top Hat
1. Start by cutting out a rectangular piece of paper. For a traditional top hat, it should be about 4 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. If you want the top of the hat to be shorter, cut the paper 4 inches by a half inch or so.
2. Cut a small strip of paper and glue it along one side of the rectangle.
3. Roll the paper up and then glue one side onto the other.
4. Cut a small square (wider than the cylinder) and then put glue on the bottom of the cylinder.
5. Adhere the cylinder to the small square of paper.
6. Cut the square into a circle to make the bottom of the hat. Cut another small square and glue it to the top of your hat.
7. Cut around the edges.
8. Glue a feather on the side. (optional)
9. Put it on your cat!
*Note: no cats were harmed in the making of this post. They were only mildly annoyed.*
P.S. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!1