It is coooold in Seattle right now. I know there are other places with harsher temperatures than here, but I’m ready for our current cold spell to be over.
Usually, I’m pretty strict about not turning on the heaters and instead, try to save energy by adding another layer of clothing or using an electric blanket. However, for the past couple of weeks, I’ve been doubling up layers, using my electric blanket, and blasting the heat on high while drinking tea. And you know what? I’m still freezing. Clearly, this PNW gal can’t handle temperatures below 30 degrees F.
Although, I do have to say there was one positive outcome from the cold. Over the weekend it was so cold that our pipes froze and so instead of being able to do laundry like I had planned, I had to sit under an electric blanket while binge-watching episodes of The Affair and enjoying a glass of wine. I guess maybe this weather isn’t all that bad after all… 😉
Another great way to warm up and recover from the cold is this hearty veggie and beef stew. I love this comforting soup for dinner and if you’re in meal-prep mode, definitely make a double batch of this and then pre-portion it for easy grab-and-go lunches. It’s paleo and perfect for those who like a hearty soup but can’t/don’t include legumes in their diet as it uses vegetables instead of beans to add bulk. And, be sure to top it with a dollop of non-dairy creamy cashew cheese. (You can thank me later.)
Tip: You can also use a crock pot to make this hearty veggie and beef stew. To do so, complete steps 1 and 2 below, then add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound grass-fed beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, until the beef is well browned.
- Drain any excess fat from the pot then add the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers, sea salt, cumin, paprika, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 10 minutes, until the onions and mushrooms are tender and the spices are fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, vegetable broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.