You guys… I can’t even tell you how excited I am to share this healing probiotic cherry gummies recipe with you!
I’ve been doing a lot of health research lately and it’s no surprise that the consistent theme that keeps coming up is about probiotics and healing the gut. It’s incredible how much research there is to show how our intestinal flora is linked to a variety of conditions and diseases – everything from digestive issues to depression! This seriously blows my mind!
If you’ve been a reader here for awhile, then you know that I’m huge on probiotics and maintaining a healthy digestive system. And, if you’re new here, then welcome! You definitely need to check out my recipes on cultured and fermented foods! 😉
It’s been way too long since I made a batch of my homemade sauerkraut so instead, I’ve been supplementing with a good probiotic. When it comes to rebuilding and taking care of your gut flora, variety is actually a really good thing so I’m sure my body appreciates the supplements, and with this fun recipe, your body can appreciate them too!
This week I’ve been playing around with gelatin in my kitchen again and whipped up a batch of these healing probiotic gummies. They’re a delicious way to supply nutrients that directly benefit the gut – plus, they taste amazing and are low in sugar and sweetened naturally with antioxidant-rich cherries!
With just four simple ingredients these gummies couldn’t be any simpler to make so let’s get to it!
These healing probiotic cherry gummies contain two important ingredients aimed at healing the gut:
- Gelatin: The key with gelatin is to look for a brand that comes from grass-fed, humanely raised animals. (This is the brand I used. Be sure to get the gelatin with the green lid to make gummies as the gelatin with the blue lid is meant to be used in drinks and won’t solidify the same way.)
- Probiotics: I like to alternate the brands I use to increase the variety of bacteria. (Bio-Kult is one of the brands I’ve used in the past and I also like Ultimate Flora since it doesn’t contain dairy.)
You’ll also need:
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries (or any fruit of your choice)
- A candy mold, ice cube tray, or glass baking dish to use as a mold
- Vanilla liquid stevia to naturally sweeten the gummies without adding sugar
These are a delicious afternoon snack or after-dinner treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth and benefit your body!
- ¾ cup water, divided
- ½ cup frozen cherries, pitted
- 5 drops vanilla liquid stevia (or more to taste)
- 3 probiotic capsules
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin powder
- Add about half of the water to a blender along with the cherries and stevia. Open the probiotics capsules and add to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the remaining water to a small pot over high heat and bring to a slight boil. Remove from heat and transfer the hot water to a glass mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the hot water and whisk vigorously for about 1 minute, or until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add the cherry mixture and whisk until incorporated. Immediately pour into the molds, then store in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.