What foods are you enjoying this summer?
This is definitely my new favorite appetizer for summer and after you give them a try, I think they’ll be your favorite too.
Way back in 2011 I made these raw zucchini sushi rolls, which have since become one of the most popular recipes on this blog and stayed one of my favorite zucchini dishes… well, that is until these grilled zucchini rolls came along. 😉
These grilled zucchini sushi rolls are super simple and they’re a great appetizer for a summer BBQ, or just a healthy snack on a hot day.
Plus, they’re super versatile! I’ve made them several times now and have used hummus, almond cheese, and cashew cheese for the filling and each version has been delicious! If you don’t have olives (or just want to substitute something else), these also work great with grilled bell peppers, capers, or marinated artichokes.
- 3 pounds zucchini
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- ½ cup almond cheese, cashew cheese, or hummus
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Cut ends off the zucchini. Slice zucchini into ⅓-inch strips.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini with safflower oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and black pepper.
- Preheat grill to high heat, then lay the zucchini pieces on the grill. Cook until zucchini is tender, but not mushy (about 3 - 4 minutes per side). Remove zucchini from the grill and set aside.
- Once slightly cooled, spread a dollop of nut cheese or hummus on the zucchini and sprinkle with olives. Roll the zucchini up and serve.