I think CrossFit is going to be the death of me.
Let me back up for a minute here. In case you don’t know what CrossFit is, it’s basically an intense strength and conditioning program that focuses on functional movement. (You can see a visual demonstration in this video.)
I started CrossFit last week and just finished my first week of beginner classes. At the end of each workout I find myself laying on the floor thinking that this is how I am going to die…
And the scary thing is that these are only the beginner classes! Our workouts are only 15 minutes long! It honestly makes me feel a little pathetic because I love intense workouts and have done plenty of kettlebell and boot camp classes before this, but CrossFit definitely takes the cake in terms of intensity.
Next week I start the regular classes and I’m honestly a little worried if I’ll make it through the full class…. which is exactly how I got inspired to make my own healthy version of an “energy drink.”
In my “energy drink” experimentation I wanted to create something that would boost energy naturally (with no creepy chemicals!) and help satiate my appetite so I wasn’t starving during my workout (but wasn’t stuffed either)… Enter the Green Tea Chia Energy Drink!
My natural energy drink combines chia seeds with green tea for a delicious energy-boost loaded with health benefits:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: chia seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are important because our bodies require omega-3′s and we don’t produce them naturally (so we must get them through our diet). Omega-3′s have a ton of benefits, including reducing inflammation and bone and joint health.
- Antioxidants & Minerals: both chia seeds and green tea contain antioxidants which fight oxidative stress, free radicals, and have been shown to help prevent age-related diseases.
- Fiber & Protein: chia seeds contain both fiber and protein, making them the perfect snack. When combined with liquid, chia seeds form a gel that helps with satiety between meals or before a workout.
- Natural Energy Boost: one cup of green tea contains about 25 mg of caffeine, which is much less than the caffeine you would find in coffee (about 100 mg/cup) or a traditional energy drink (around 250 mg!). Plenty of studies have shown that caffeine before a workout or sports event does increase performance so green tea is a great way to get a little energy boost before a tough workout.
To save myself time, I’ll usually brew a large batch of this so my drinks are ready to go in the fridge. Storing them in glass mason jars also makes them easy to take on-the-go so you’re always prepared.
Since some of my CrossFit classes are in the evenings and I’m pretty sensitive to caffeine, I’ll actually brew a batch of tea using half Numi green tea and half Numi honeybush tea (since it’s decaffeinated) to lessen the amount of caffeine. This recipe is pretty adaptable so you can use your favorite type of tea, and even add sweetener if desired.
Have you ever tried CrossFit? If so, any recommendations for beginners? And, how do you boost your energy before a tough workout?
- Bring water to a boil.
- Let tea steep 3 – 5 minutes, then remove tea bag.
- Add chia seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Leave tea/chia seed mixture in the fridge for about an hour to cool.
- Shake, drink, & work out!