I think it’s time we talk about cravings. I like to think of cravings as my body’s way of giving me information.
For example, when I’m craving sugar, it’s usually my body’s way of telling me I’m really tired and need rest.
Or, when I’m craving something warm and gooey and cheese-like, it’s my body’s way of telling me that I need to feel comforted.
Or, when I’m craving a glass of red wine, it’s my body’s way of telling me that it’s been a hard week and I probably need to do some deep breathing exercises. 😉
But this week? My cravings were pretty straightforward: I was craving a hot yoga class and a green smoothie. Message received, body!
This green detox smoothie is my new favorite for a few reasons:
- It’s super easy to make and you can find the ingredients at any standard grocery store!
- It’s loaded with nutrient-dense foods that help to cleanse and detox the body!
- It’s delicious — and low in sugar and high in fiber!
I picked each of the ingredients for a specific purpose:
- Broccoli sprouts: contain a compound called sulfurophane that has been shown to lower the risk of developing certain cancers, in addition to aiding in weight loss and detoxification. Sulfurophane can be found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage, but I like using broccoli sprouts in this smoothie because they have fifty times as much sulfurophane as compared to broccoli.
- Flaxseeds: improves the body’s elimination of toxins. (Tip: refrigerate the bag after opening to keep the flaxseeds fresh.)
- Cucumber: reduces inflammation in the body.
- Ginger: aids in digestion and the immune system.
- Green apple: rich in fiber and adds a tart sweetness to the smoothie.
- Kale: rich in chlorophyll and antioxidants.
- Lemon: reduces inflammation and high in Vitamin C.
- Turmeric: reduces inflammation and aids liver function.
Try this green detox smoothie in the afternoon when you need a quick pick-me-up and energy boost!
Recipe tip: If you need to lower the sugar in this smoothie, omit the green apple and use 1 whole cucumber instead.
- ¼ cup broccoli sprouts
- ½ green apple, cored and chopped
- ½ cucumber
- 1 cup fresh kale, chopped
- ¼ lemon, seeded
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½-inch piece fresh ginger root
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds - 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately.