If you live in the United States you are probably well-aware that the holidays are upon us. Most of us are planning our menus for next week and frantically trying to get to the grocery store before all the decent yams are snatched up.
If you have food allergies, dietary restrictions, or have been embarking on a grain-free lifestyle like me, you might be worried about what will take the place of stuffing at your holiday table this year.
Don’t worry, I got you covered.
Remember that tutorial on How to Make Grain-Free Cauliflower Rice? Well there was a reason I shared it with you this week… cauliflower rice makes amazing mock stuffing! And now that you know, you won’t have to worry about that empty space on your holiday menu anymore.
P.S. If you’ve now become addicted to cauliflower rice like me, be sure to check out The Seasonal Comfort Food Cookbook for all of my cauliflower rice variations!
Now let’s talk about a few other options for that Thanksgiving meal, shall we?
Nothing goes better with this grain-free sage and pecan stuffing than Garlicky Mashed Cauliflower and Parsnips. Who needs mashed potatoes this year?!
And of course you need something delicious to pour over all that mashed cauliflower and parsnips! Enter my favorite (gluten-free and vegan) Mushroom Gravy. Mushroom-haters, beware that this just might change your mind…
You can’t have a holiday table without something beautiful, green, and healthy. At least, that’s my motto. This year I’m going to be rocking this Collard Green Coleslaw and I suggest you do the same.
One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to cooking is when recipes use white sugar and refined sweeteners when it just isn’t necessary. Unfortunately, this always seems to be the case with cranberry sauce.
Last year I created my own Spiced Orange Cranberry Sauce that is sweetened with dates and then spiced up with ginger, fresh oranges, and zest. I think you’ll love it as much as I do.
Let’s not forget drinks. This Cranberry Rosemary Refresher is one of my seasonal favorites. It’s non-alcoholic, but if you’re expecting some difficult conversations with family members, I might suggest adding something to make it a little stronger… 🙂
And, for those of you who might be gluten-free, but not grain-free, I wanted to share my seasonal favorite from last year: Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffing! This also makes a fabulous plant-based and protein-rich entree.
But don’t forget we came here to talk about this Grain-Free Sage and Pecan Stuffing…
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (see tutorial here!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and place in the oven until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. (Keep a close eye on the pecans to ensure they do not burn.)
- Remove pecans from the oven. Add the pecans to a food processor. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pecans, cauliflower rice, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Toss with parsley and serve hot. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.