One of the best things that happened this year was releasing my very first cookbook, The Seasonal Comfort Food Cookbook. Thank you so much to everyone for all your support and encouragement along the way. It’s been incredibly exciting to share these recipes with you and hear from so many of you who have been cooking from the book!
My favorite part of the book is the first collection of recipes dedicated entirely to variations of cauliflower rice. I’ve been making so much of this at home lately that I finally decided it was time to share it with you on the blog.
Grain-free cauliflower rice is made by shredding cauliflower (yep, that white cruciferous vegetable!) into tiny rice-like pieces, then sauteing it to soften the texture. Can you believe that it doesn’t contain any actual rice?!
It’s the perfect grain-free, gluten-free, vegetarian/vegan, and paleo/primal side dish for any healthy meal. So let’s jump right into this tutorial to see how easy it is to make!
First things first we start with this guy. Be sure to use fresh cauliflower and look for cauliflower that is bright white, without any wet or brown spots.
The next step is to make sure you have the right equipment. When making cauliflower rice, you have two options:
1. Use a food processor. I have a Cuisinart 7-cup food processor that I love and the bowl is big enough that I’m able to process a full head of cauliflower at once. (If you have a smaller food processor, you can prepare the cauliflower rice in batches if needed.) Any food processor will work as long as it comes with a shredding blade (featured above), which is pretty standard for food processors across the board.
2. Your other option is a standard stainless steel grater, or cheese grater. This allows you to process the cauliflower by hand, but it requires a little more elbow grease and results in a coarser texture.
After you process the cauliflower, you’ll wind up with raw, grated cauliflower that looks something like what is pictured above. One medium head of cauliflower will generally yield 6 cups of cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower rice can be eaten raw, but I much prefer the flavor and texture when it’s cooked. There are a variety of ways to prepare it and the basic instructions are listed below. If you are interested in more cauliflower rice recipes, be sure to check out my new ebook, A Year of Cauliflower Rice! 🙂
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Attach the shredding blade to your food processor and shred cauliflower. Or, use a cheese grater to shred the cauliflower by hand into a rice-like texture.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cauliflower rice.
- Sauté for 7 - 10 minutes, until cauliflower rice is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.