It’s only Tuesday and we’re already talking cupcakes? This feels a little dangerous... But, hear me out!
This cupcake is my way of saying THANK YOU, thank you, and thank you to each and every one of you who purchased a copy of my new cookbook, helped me spread the word out on social media, and has shared your excitement about the recipes! It honestly fills my heart with so much joy to know that this little cookbook that I created is being read all around the world and is changing the way that you are eating this season.
And, in case you haven’t already heard, The Seasonal Comfort Food Cookbook featuring over 55 grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free recipes for fall and winter is now available! Check out all the details here!
Now, back to these cupcakes! If you’ve been following my blog for awhile, you probably know that I typically try to stay away from sugar (in all forms) as much as possible, but sometimes we need to a have a little sweetness and balance in life… am I right? That’s exactly why I created these amazing grain-free almond cupcakes with chocolate avocado frosting.
They’re (of course!) gluten-free and dairy-free and are possibly too good to be true… but I think you deserve ’em! 😉
I know this might sound a little weird, but avocados can be used to create a creamy, delicious frosting that (dare I say it?) rivals the traditional buttercream frosting. I love this frosting because it’s thick and creamy and doesn’t require a mixer. You could also eat this straight as an avocado mousse if desired.
- 2½ cups almond flour
- 2 organic cage-free eggs, beaten
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium avocados, pitted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (may need more depending on how ripe avocados are)
- Almonds and coconut flakes for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine almond flour, eggs, ½ cup maple syrup, baking soda and vanilla extract. Mix well and ensure there are no lumps.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and fill about halfway.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, add the avocados, ⅓ cup maple syrup, cacao powder, and almond milk to a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides with a spatula as necessary. Add additional almond milk if needed. Store in the refrigerator until using.
- Once cupcakes are done cooking, let sit and cool. Frost cupcakes.
- Top with almonds and coconut flakes, if desired, and enjoy.