This time of year is madness. Everyone is trying to get a million things done. Presents in need of wrapping seem to grow exponentially. Last-minute holiday cards need to be signed and mailed. Packages need to be shipped. And don’t even get me started on the lines at the post office. *shudder*
In planning my holiday menu, I’ve been looking for ways to “lighten up” some traditional favorites. There is nothing wrong with mashed potatoes, but I’ve recently discovered this mock version that I love even more than the original. Plus, it only involves 4 ingredients and can be made in under 15 minutes. Yes, please!
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and parnsips and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve about ¼ cup of the cooking liquid, drain well, and then transfer the cauliflower, parnsips, and minced garlic to a food processor. Add oil and a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time (as needed), and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve.