Hey dude that works the gym front desk every morning at 5 am. I know I look like a crazy person. I know that you see me stroll in here, half asleep, most likely still in my pj’s. I know that you notice me sometimes glaring at you from my one-awake-eye, wondering how you can be so perky at this time of the morning. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not a grumpy person. In fact, I’m pretty nice. But until I’ve had my morning smoothie, don’t mess with me… k?
The scary thing is that the dude that works the front desk every morning at 5 am knows what I really look like. The me without the shower, without my makeup, and without my kale. It’s horrifying, believe me. Green smoothie to the rescue!
Let’s start with some basics! This smoothie gets an energy boost with a base of your favorite green tea (I like Yogi brand). If you don’t drink caffeine, you always sub decaffeinated green tea, nondairy milk, or water. Next we add in our amazing greens. Kale is one of the most nutritious (and delicious) green foods. Did you know that in addition to being full of vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, iron, fiber, folate, and calcium, kale also contains protein and omega-3 fats? Unbelievable!
I like adding frozen bananas to smoothies because they add a creamy consistency and help to bulk the smoothie up. Frozen berries also add a bit of tart sweetness while adding more vitamin C and antioxidants. Feel the power!
A lot of smoothies use solely fruit for their base, but since I eat this one for breakfast, I like to add regular rolled oats in as well since the extra fiber helps me to feel full longer. I also added in some almonds for healthy fats and extra hunger-fighting power.
By itself, this smoothie has a tart sweetness from the banana and berries. If you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, I recommend adding two pitted Medjool dates. If you’re really going the extra mile, I also recommend adding in a tablespoon of wheatgrass powder. (I don’t have a wheatgrass juicer so I love adding this wheatgrass powder to smoothies.) Wheatgrass is full of chlorophyll, amino acids, and enzymes. This will definitely give your day a boost and start you off on the right foot!
Energizing Green Smoothie
Recipe type: Smoothie
- 1 bag of green tea
- 12 ounces of hot water
- 4 large pieces of kale
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 cup berries, frozen
- ¼ cup regular rolled oats (or gluten-free if needed)
- small handful of almonds (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 Tablespoon wheatgrass powder (optional)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted (optional)
- Brew your green tea in 12 ounces of hot water. Brew ahead of time and let sit in the refrigerator to cool.
- Blend (cooled) green tea with kale, banana, berries, oats, almonds, ice, wheatgrass powder (if using), and dates (if using). Blend until smooth and drink up!
- Note: if you do not have a Vitamix or high-powered blender, you can blend the green tea and kale first to ensure that the kale is thoroughly blended. Then add your other ingredients and blend more.
You may also like...
Sign Up For Weekly Updates