What are your grocery staples?
You know those items that somehow always make it onto your shopping list?
My grocery list almost always includes:
- Yerba mate tea
- Canned coconut milk
- Fresh herbs
And of course, broccoli. I go through so much broccoli in a week that it’s crazy.
As weird as it may sound, I think broccoli may be one of my comfort foods. I have broccoli in at least one meal daily and if I go for more than a couple of days without it, I start to crave it.
In an effort to mix things up this week, I decided to toss some lightly steamed broccoli in a chipotle dressing. The result? This easy chipotle broccoli salad.
If broccoli wasn’t already on your shopping list, this salad will make you want to add it! 😀
Want to know just how EASY this easy chipotle broccoli salad is? Watch this video:
A few recipe notes:
- I used powdered stevia in this dressing to add a touch of sweetness (to balance the acidity of the lime juice) without any sugar. I added about 1/8 teaspoon of stevia, but I’ve found that tastes really differ by brand so I’d recommend starting with 1/8 teaspoon and increasing if needed. (Note: I used this brand.)
- If you’d prefer a different sweetener, honey or pure maple syrup are awesome choices. Or, if you’d rather not use not use anything, simply omit the stevia and your dressing will be a tad tangier.
- This salad is best when the broccoli is just lightly steamed and is crisp-tender. Depending on your steaming method, I’ve found that steaming it for 3 – 5 minutes is perfect to maintain just the right amount of crunch. (Tip: the broccoli should be bright green; if it’s lost its color, you’ve gone too far.)
- 3 - 4 large heads broccoli, chopped into florets (~6 cups)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon stevia (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Steam the broccoli for 3 - 5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining the spices, stevia, salt, lime juice, cilantro, and olive oil.
- Pour dressing over the broccoli and serve. Or, refrigerate until serving.