I came up with a few alternative titles for this post. Things like…
- How to make your home smell like a million bucks… without spraying harmful sh#t into the air.
- How to make your home smell less like cats and more like rosemary.
- What to do fifteen minutes before guests arrive when you realize that your home probably smells like compost.
- How to make your kitchen smell amazing without having to learn to bake cookies.
In the end, I opted to call this DIY Vanilla and Rosemary Air Freshener. It’s simple, all natural, and involves two ingredients (well, three if you count water). And, it will save you a ton of money this time of year because you won’t have to stock up on chemical-laden air fresheners that we probably shouldn’t be using in our homes anyway. (at least, that’s my preference)
Here’s what you’ll need….
We start with two ingredients: fresh rosemary and vanilla extract.
If you ask me, these are things that you should always have on-hand in your kitchen. If possible, grow a rosemary bush in your yard or keep a small rosemary plant in your apartment window (if you’re me). This will give you easy access to fresh herbs all winter long and it will feel like an amazing treat.
All you need to do is combine 1 – 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract with about 2 medium sprigs of fresh rosemary. Put them into a pot and cover with about 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes before company arrives.
In addition to making your kitchen and home smell amazing, this will also add a little moisture to the air, which I personally find helpful during this time of year.
Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season!
- 1 – 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 medium sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil then simmer, uncovered, at least 20 minutes before company arrives.
- You can continue to simmer for as long as desired, adding more water and rosemary as needed.