Before we dive into talking about this beautiful digestive aid juice, let’s talk about digestion for a moment. Shall we?
Why is digestion so important? Without going into a complicated biology lesson (which I probably would not be prepared to teach), let’s simply think of what our digestive system does for us: it breaks food down into smaller pieces so that our body can use this nourishment to build new cells and give us energy. It’s amazing what our bodies do for us on a daily basis!
Since our digestion is essential for maintaining a healthy and happy body, anything that we can do to help aid our digestive system will increase our overall health. For example, this might include eating more fermented foods like saurkraut or kimchi, drinking kombucha, or taking probiotics to help maintain healthy bacteria in our guts.
It’s definitely important to think about the types of foods we are eating, but it’s also important to think about how we are eating those foods. Are you rushing through meals? Shoveling food down your mouth? Eating on-the-go? All of this contributes to digestive stress.
I know life is busy and I struggle with this too, but as much as possible, try to slow down at meals, chew your food properly, and allow your body a chance to fully digest your meal before running off to a new task. Your digestion and your body will thank you.
And now let’s talk juice.
One of the things that I love most about juice is that it’s easy on the digestive system, which means the body is able to easily absorb the nutrients without digestive stress. This results in great absorption of nutrients and more energy for you. A true win-win!
This particular juice focuses on ingredients that aid the digestive process:
- Fennel is great for digestion, detoxification, heartburn, cramps, and bloating.
- Ginger is fabulous for relieving nausesa, gas, and bloating.
- Celery is often used as a digestive aid for regulating bowel movements and to help ease gas.
- Mint is often helpful for easing nausea and an upset stomach (although sometimes mint can actually irritate the stomach so pay attention to how mint affects you).
- Cucumbers make a delicious and naturally sweet base for our juice, but if extra sweetness is desired, an apple or alternate fruit of your choice can be added.
Drink up! Here’s to your health!
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- handful fresh mint leaves
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 stalks celery
- apple (optional)
- Juice ingredients and enjoy!