Is there anything better than comfort food on a dreary fall day? I don’t know about you, but sometimes after a hard day at work, one of my favorite things to do is to curl up on the couch with a warm blanket and dinner.
Lately, my favorite meal of choice has been this Dairy-Free Pumpkin Mac and Cheese. I mean, just because we’re eating comfort food doesn’t have to mean we feed our bodies crap. 😉
First, we replace all that processed pasta with fresh zoodles (aka zucchini noodles). And then we top it of with a simple and creamy pumpkin cashew sauce that has all the yumminess of cheese without any of the dairy. That’s comfort food without compromise. At least, that’s my motto!
P.S. If you’re looking for more delicious (and healthy!) comfort food recipes and creative inspiration for your spiralizer, you don’t want to miss my new cookbook Zoodles! Get the details here on Amazon.
This Dairy-Free Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is the perfect easy weeknight meal as it can be prepared in under 30 minutes. To make it a heartier entree, I recommend adding a protein source of choice.
Note: If you’re new to using nutritional yeast, you can find it here on Amazon or at most health food stores. Nutritional yeast is an inactive form of yeast loaded with B vitamins and adds a “cheesy” flavor to dairy-free recipes.
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups (or one 15-oz can) pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, spiralized into pasta
- Add the cashews and vegetable broth to a blender. Let them sit and soak (to soften) for ten minutes. Blend until smooth, then add the pumpkin, nutritional yeast, and salt and blend again until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic cloves and sauté for 2 -3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the pumpkin sauce and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
- In a separate pan over medium heat, add the remaining coconut oil and zucchini pasta. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes, or until tender, then drain. Add the noodles to the sauce, mix, and enjoy.