I am an ugly crier. No really. Remember in Bridesmaids when Rose Byrne is crying and Kristin Wiig says that she is an ugly crier? She doesn’t even know what ugly crying is.
I suppose this wouldn’t be too much of a problem except that I tend to cry during movies… a lot. The Vow? Yep. Hunger Games? Check. Brave? Definitely. And don’t even ask me about the Finding Nemo incident of 2006. That was a legendary ugly crying moment.
Here’s the important thing that you need to know as an ugly crier: how to hide the signs. No one wants to go out in the world with red, puffy eyes. No one. So you quickly learn tricks like using chamomile tea bags and (my personal favorite) cucumber slices to calm the eyes.
If you’re an ugly crier, I advise you to keep cucumber on hand at all times. And, if you happen to have a cucumber and a peach handy, you might want to consider making yourself this salad. After all, you probably need a snack after all that crying.
This recipe is so easy and the lack of cooking makes it perfect for summer. I love packing it up for picnics because it also travels really well. If you find yourself stuck in a situation without a fork, this salad will be just fine as finger food.
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium peaches, pitted, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade
- Thinly-slice the cucumber and marinate slices in apple cider vinegar for at least 20 minutes in the fridge. Toss with the peaches just prior to serving and garnish with basil.