Here we are just on the cusp of summer. In Seattle the days have been long, bright, and sunny. We wait all year for this and I cannot get enough.
I also cannot get enough of Orange Is The New Black at the moment. In case you haven’t heard, it’s that prison show on Netflix and they just released the second season. It’s worth checking out, honestly.
If you watch the show and know what I’m talking about, then I think you’ll appreciate my cat’s best impression of “Crazy Eyes.” He’s pretty good at it, huh?
Speaking of things that I can’t get enough of, we definitely have to talk about summer salads. And specifically, salad dressings.
I’m really not a fan of bottled dressings because most of them contain refined oils, sugar, and preservatives. At first it might sound like a lot of work to make your own dressings, but it doesn’t have to be that way. This recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare and it’s actually a source of healthy fats (instead of refined oils).
This recipe uses cashews to create a creamy, healthy dressing combined with garlic and fresh herbs for a yummy mock ranch dressing. I have a feeling this recipe just might change your summer.
There are a lot of different variations you can make with this cashew ranch dressing.
Want it sweeter? Add a little raw honey or pure maple syrup.
Want a stronger “ranch” flavor? Add a little onion powder.
Want it saltier? That’s an obvious one: add a little extra salt. 😉
I believe that recipes are meant to be adapted to individual tastes so I hope you enjoy this dressing and feel free to share variations in the comments below.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch chives, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Add cashews to a small bowl and soak in water for at least 15 minutes. (This will allow the cashews to soften and make them easier to process.)
- Drain cashews of the water and add to a blender or food processor, along with garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, and ¼ cup of water. Blend or process, until smooth, adding additional water as needed, until the mixture is the consistency of dressing.
- Add the parsley and chives, along with pepper to taste, and refrigerate until using.