I don’t know about you, but over Halloween weekend I ate way too much sugar. By the third day of this behavior when I found myself unable to stop thinking about sweets I knew it was time to bring my body back into balance.
There are a few steps I usually take when I need to reset my eating patterns:
- Drink a lot of water
- Load up on fresh veggies and fiber (raw veggies and hummus has been my go-to snack this week)
- Replace less-healthy sweets with fruit or sweet vegetables (e.g. sweet potatoes, carrots, etc) so I can gradually ween myself off of them
So, when I found myself with a 3 pm sugar craving, I knew it was time for a green smoothie. However, instead of going my usual fruit-free smoothie route, I decided it was time to satisfy my sweet tooth with this coconut green smoothie bowl.
Are you into smoothie bowls? In all honesty, I was resistant to the smoothie bowl craze for awhile because, well… isn’t it just a smoothie? In a bowl?
Yes, technically smoothie bowls are essentially just a smoothie in a bowl, but they’re thicker, creamier, and there’s something about eating them with a spoon and your choice of toppings that makes them seem like dessert. Plus, if you can eat something that feels like dessert when it’s actually a whole lotta spinach with healthy fats? That’s a win in my book.
This smoothie relies on a frozen banana and full-fat coconut milk (from the can) to thicken it up a bit. I added a hefty dose of spinach (don’t worry – it still tastes great!), a bit of water, and some ice. My favorite toppings are thinly sliced bananas, hemp seeds, and some unsweetened shredded coconut, but you can customize this to your own taste.
Note: You can also opt to substitute 1/2 avocado in place of the banana (and reduce/omit the water depending on the desired consistency) for a low-sugar option.
What’s your favorite smoothie bowl?
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- 3 cups spinach
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- Ice, if desired
- Toppings of choice (e.g. sliced bananas, hemp seeds, shredded coconut, etc)
- Add banana, spinach, coconut milk, water, and ice (if using) to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add your favorite toppings