Before we talk about these amazing grain-free coconut crusted chicken strips, let me start with a story…
Awhile back a friend introduced me to these amazing chicken strips from the Whole Foods freezer aisle. She even showed me how simple they are to make: you just pull them out of the box, plop them on a sheet pan, and bake! I’ll admit it: I was intrigued.
Sure, they were simple… but were they any good? I took a bite and it was confirmed: yes, they were good…
But, when I looked at the nutrition label I was horrified. They were loaded with sugar! (No wonder they tasted so delicious…)
So I set out on a mission to make my own version that’s just as delicious and simple to prepare, but doesn’t contain the added sugar.
These are also dairy-free, grain-free, and gluten-free so they work for a variety of diets. These can make it from the oven to your plate in 30 minutes so I think they’re the perfect solution to busy weeknight dinners.
Now, onto the recipe!
I paired my chicken strips with a simple honey mustard dipping sauce. If you can’t eat honey or are excluding natural sweeteners from your diet, try pairing these with this Creamy Cashew Ranch Dressing instead.
What are your favorite easy 30-minute meals?
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound organic, free-range chicken tenders
- 1 organic, free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the coconut flour, shredded coconut, and salt together in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and coat both sides with the coconut mixture. Lay flat on a sheet pan.
- Bake the chicken for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping once, until the chicken is cooked (the internal temperature should be above 165 degrees F) and the coconut crust is slightly browned and crisp. Serve warm.
- Note: to make the crust crispier and add more color, broil the chicken for the last 5 minutes of the cooking process.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Mix ingredients together and serve with chicken strips for dipping.