It doesn’t take much to creep me out. Seriously, I scare way too easily.
Over the weekend I creeped myself out by reading The Woman in Cabin 10 (I would definitely recommend it, but I was a bit bummed at the ending) and watching Gone Girl (also highly recommended if you haven’t read the book or seen this yet!).
As the suspense in the movie was building, I’m not going to lie, I was definitely stress-eating these chipotle chocolate pumpkin seeds. 😉
Speaking of which, I have to say how excited I am that pumpkin season is finally here!!! I have a bunch of ideas for healthy and fun new pumpkin recipes, but if there’s anything specific you’d like to see, be sure to leave a comment below and let me know!
These roasted pumpkin seeds are definitely my new favorite seasonal snack because they’re easy to make, overall pretty healthy, and taste satisfying without being sweet. The cacao powder adds a nice savory quality that enhances the spice of the chipotle chili powder.
I’ve found that the key to crispy roasted pumpkin seeds is to boil them in salted water for 10 minutes prior to roasting. Regardless of what spices you use for flavoring, this will ensure they turn out deliciously crispy.
P.S. If you’re looking for other healthy pumpkin recipes, be sure to check out the archives here!
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (from two ~2-pound pumpkins)
- 1 teaspoon salt (for boiling)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Thoroughly clean the seeds and remove any pulp.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add cleaned seeds and 1 teaspoon of salt to a pot of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain seeds.
- Dry seeds with a paper towel.
- Lay seeds on a baking sheet and toss with the coconut oil. Mix the cacao powder, chili powder, and sea salt together. Sprinkle over the seeds and mix well.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then flip seeds. Roast for an additional 5 minutes, then test seeds. If they are not crispy enough, roast for another 3 - 5 minutes, making sure the outside is not overly browned (this means the inner seed is burning).