Are you already planning your Thanksgiving menu?
I get a lot of questions on the blog and in real life about what to make or bring to holiday meals. Since I’ve never actually cooked a turkey, my expertise lies in the sides: a good soup, a hearty salad, or a savory roasted vegetable dish can go a long way.
Lately I’ve been drooling over this simple butternut squash and cauliflower soup that would be a perfect addition to any holiday table. It’s easy to make and – my favorite part – it’s creamy while still dairy-free. Whether you enjoy this as a side to a weeknight dinner or a holiday feast, it won’t disappoint.
This butternut squash and cauliflower soup is 100% vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, and free of legumes! It’s also perfect for those of us who need to watch our carbohydrate intake and blood sugar because the cauliflower is used to bulk up the soup, which reduces the amount of butternut squash needed in the recipe.
(If you’re interested in specific numbers: there are 16 g of carbohydrates per cup of butternut squash, but 5 g of carbohydrates per cup of cauliflower. By replacing the butternut squash that would have been used in this soup with cauliflower, you’re getting about half the amount of carbohydrates, along with more protein and less sugar.)
I also like topping this off with some fresh herbs or a sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes along with a swirl of olive oil!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- Extra herbs, red pepper flakes, or olive oil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss coconut oil with onions, garlic, butternut squash, and cauliflower and lay flat on a sheet pan. Roast for about 25 - 30 minutes, turning at least once, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the vegetables to a blender along with the sea salt, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, and broth. Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
- Garnish with herbs, pepper, or a swirl of olive oil if desired.