When you work at home, lunches become a burden instead of a pleasure.
I’m hungry. How is it already 1 pm? I should really eat.
Finish one more email. Get interrupted by a cat strolling across my keyboard. Delete cat’s random typing.
Okay, what’s in the fridge? Leftovers. Hmm… I was going to use those for dinner again tonight.
So, that means lunch is… avocado tuna salad from the pantry!
I don’t want to admit/I’m totally going to admit that this is what happens at least twice a week. Luckily, this avocado tuna salad has turned into a staple that I always seem to have the ingredients for AND I actually enjoy eating. Win-win!!
BTW- with school season upon us, this avocado tuna salad is perfect for easy back-to-school lunches!
What makes this salad awesome? Delicious chunks of avocado combined with dill pickles, fresh herbs, and tuna. Yep, that’s my pretty much my heaven.
Plus, it comes together quickly and the healthy fats in the avocado help to keep you full until dinnertime. And, the recipe is super adaptable so don’t worry if you don’t have these exact ingredients – substitutions are always encouraged because let’s be real, that’s just life. 😉
A few recipe notes:
- I usually eat this salad on its own or over a bed of fresh greens, but it’s also awesome wrapped up in collard greens (see my tutorial here).
- When it comes to canned tuna, I really love the Wild Planet brand because it’s low in mercury and sustainably caught.
- When mixing the ingredients, I usually mash up the avocado a little bit, but I still like to leave some chunks of avocado because that makes it really satisfying to bite into.
And, if you want to see just how quick and easy it is to make, check out this video!
What are your favorite lunches for busy weekdays? Leave a comment below!
- 2 5-oz cans of tuna
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons yellow or brown mustard
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup of diced dill pickles
- pinch of sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until eating.