If you live in Seattle, then you know that there’s been a lot of talk about the weather. And, for anyone not in Seattle, it might surprise you to hear that we’ve had record-breaking temperatures this month and it even got up to the 70s and 80s!
As someone who doesn’t do well in heat, last week I bought some extra fans and came up with a few survival skills:
- Boycott the oven.
- Opt for simple meals (because easy-to-prepare dinner = more time outside).
- Eat all meals outside (where, of course, it’s cooler than my house).
This Asparagus with Soft-Cooked Eggs recipe quickly became a staple as it doesn’t require an oven, is light yet filling, and can be done in under 20 minutes total!
What are your survival tips for hot days?
Before we go any further, I want to give credit where credit is due. 😉 I’ve raved about Sun Basket a ton (read my past posts here and here), and this recipe was actually inspired by one of their meals. (If you have any interest in trying out a farm-fresh meal delivery service, I highly recommend them!)
I love the simplicity of asparagus with a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice, but you can always spice up this dish in different ways (think whole-grain mustard or fresh herbs). This asparagus with soft-cooked eggs also makes a fabulous breakfast and you can always prepare it ahead of time and refrigerate it to enjoy later.
Pro tip: the asparagus I’ve been finding at the farmers market lately is super thick and since I prefer thinner asparagus, I’ve been cutting them in half. The nice benefit is that this also reduces the cooking time in this recipe.
- 4 organic, cage-free eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- Sea salt & freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Fill a medium pot with water (enough to cover the eggs) and bring to a boil. Add the eggs and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove eggs, (carefully) drain hot water, and run eggs under cold water.
- Peel the eggs under cool running water and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to a medium pan over medium heat, then add the asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cook the asparagus, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer asparagus to a plate. Cut the eggs in half and place over the asparagus.
- Top with green onions, a drizzle of olive oil (if desired), and serve with a wedge of lemon.