Cool: Listening to the Inception soundtrack.
Super cool: Listening to the Inception soundtrack at your office. It will make your life seem epic, promise.
Cool: Watching the sun rise.
Super cool: Watching the sun rise while running along your favorite trail and listening to the Inception soundtrack. Even more epic.
Cool: Eating soba noodles.
Super cool: Eating soba noodles topped with edamame, sesame seeds, fresh veggies, and sliced peaches. Incredible.
Soba noodles are one of my favorite things at the moment. They are made from buckwheat flour and can be found at your local Asian or natural foods market.
One of the perks of soba noodles is that they don’t go mushy overnight. I made a batch of this salad and have been pleasantly surprised to find that it still retains its texture over a couple of days. I love using fresh, sliced peaches while they’re in season, but you could substitute mango or mandarin oranges, or leave it out altogether. This is the perfect weekday lunch and the only thing that could possibly make it better (yep, you guessed it) is eating it while listening to the Inception soundtrack. Totally cool.
- ½ pound soba noodles
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cucumber, shredded
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup edamame
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 peach, pitted and sliced
- sprinkle of sesame seeds
- In a medium pot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook about 7 - 9 minutes, until they are fully cooked but not mushy. Once cooked, cool noodles down quickly in an ice bath (or run under cold water). Drain.
- Mix sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, hot chili oil, soy sauce, and sea salt.
- Add olive oil to a small pan over low heat. Sauce garlic and ginger for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add garlic and ginger to oil mixture and toss with noodles. Mix in cilantro, cucumber, spinach, cabbage, carrot, and scallions.
- Top with edamame, peanuts, peach slices, and sesame seeds. Refrigerate until serving.