Before I tell you all the amazing things about these anti-inflammatory salmon burgers, I have to start with the one thing about them that’s an absolute pain.
Well, I guess that’s assuming that you have two cats like I do…
Two cats who are very hungry, ambitious, and realize that together, they outnumber you. This is key because once they realize this, you are in trouble, my friend.
Let me explain.
One of my cats has a sensitive tummy and so I have to give him medication 30 minutes prior to feeding him. This drives the other cat nuts because he just wants me to hurry up and feed him.
So, it’s a typical weeknight and I’m making these incredibly delicious salmon burgers (obviously). I have two hungry cats at my feet who just about lost their minds when I opened two cans of salmon because they assume they’re getting fed. And, the fact that they have to wait an additional 30 minutes is simply unacceptable in their world.
This means that for the entire 20 minutes while I am prepping and cooking these burgers, I had to do so while (gently) pushing one cat away with my left foot so he wouldn’t jump on the counter and while also simultaneously trying to comfort the other cat who is simply sitting between my feet howling. Let’s just say that meal prep was a bit stressful, but I can assure you that these salmon burgers were still worth it. 😉
Now, let’s talk salmon burgers.
Here’s why I love them:
- They’re full of healthy fats and protein (but also low in carbohydrates)
- The prep is minimal and they come together quickly (20 minutes!)
- Canned salmon works great in this recipe to make meal prep even easier (I love the Wild Planet brand which is sustainably-caught)
And, you can also save yourself time by making a double (or triple batch) and freezing the raw burgers, then pulling them out of the freezer and cooking for a quick meal!
Now, time to eat!
- 12 ounces (or two 6-oz cans, drained) cooked wild salmon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Citrus Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Add the salmon, eggs, garlic, shallot, ginger, coconut flour, walnuts, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix until ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium pan over medium heat and cook the patties for about 3 - 5 minutes on each side.
- While burgers are cooking, combine the ingredients for the citrus dressing in a small bowl.
- Serve the burgers immediately, topped with a drizzle of the citrus dressing.